Monday, July 30, 2007

Day One - Crown Point to Ausable Chasm

WILLSBORO, NY - Slept off and on last night, but probably got 5-6 hours of pretty good sleep. Up with the light and the birds at 5am, figuring it would take me an hour to pack up and be on the road by 6. It really would have been too dark to start any earlier than that, but I really NEEDED to get up anyway. Dropped the car at the Visitors Center, packed up and got going. At first I was surprised at how "rolling" the road was - there never seemed to be a flat stretch. And it's been that way pretty much all morning to this point. I'll never whine about hills at home again.

After about 18 miles, I stopped in Westport, at the cafe of the "Inn on the Library Lawn", and had pancakes and sausage, both for fuel and for salt. Then came the second long climb of the day. The first, out of Port Henry, hadn't been that bad, but I'm expecting a cumulative effect before the day is out. The second climb also went by without a hitch, and provided some good westward views of the High Peaks as I cruised across the top of the hill I had just climbed.


In Essex, I stopped at a small park just off the main street, and just relaxed for 15 minutes or so, reviewed the map, watched the boats, etc.


And at 10:15, I reached Willsboro, 33 miles into a 49-mile day. So here I am, at the library. I've decided to try and kill some time in Willsboro, eat lunch and relax, before starting the biggest climb of the day. It isn't really much bigger than the climb out of Westport, but I'm waaaaay early, and a break seems like a good idea.

I'll try to update this later when I actually arrive in Keeseville. I no longer have much doubt of that.

3 Comments:

At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a good morning ride ... enjoy the day and the week to come! John V

 
At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site, nice and easy on the eyes and great content too.

 
At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It’s really a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home